Hedge planting advice and information
Whether you want a hedge for screening, stockproofing or purely ornamental reasons, with such a variety of trees and plants available, there is sure to be something to suit your garden.
Some of the more popular choices for boundary hedging are:
- Beech Hedge - great for winter colour
- Hawthorn - tough and impenetrable
- Holly - tough evergreen hedge
- Hornbeam Hedge - similar to Beech but more tolerant of wet conditions
- Laurel - lush evergreen hedge
- Yew - formal evergreen hedge, that is great for clipping into shape
Ornamental / Low Growing Hedges
If you are looking for a purely ornamental hedge, the following hedging plants are great and can be used in both classical or contemporary style planting schemes.
- Box - Buxus sempervirens
- Lavender - Lavandula angustifolia
- Rosemary - Rosmarinus officinalis
- Shrubby Honeysuckle - Lonicera nitida
These low growing hedging plants are often used in knot gardens.